Toadstool Curio Blog
The home of an ecclectic range of paper, digital, fabric and yarn crafts, plus a few mixed media projects to spice things up a bit!

Thursday 1 September 2011

Polkadoodles Challenge Week 34

Firstly can I say, I somehow managed to make the colours seem quite garish in this image. The original card and photo are far more tastefully coloured! It seems to be something to do with compressing the image size. Not sure why though.


This week's blog challenge over at the Polkadoodles blog is to use some of Nikky Hall's fab spotty, dotty papers from her great collection of CD's. The choice of papers can be combined with any stamped image and can be for any occasion.



I have made so many cards over thelast year using Nikky's papers and I especially love polka dots. For this challenge, I decided to base my card around the scarecrow digi stamp from Sundae of Seasons as it is one I haven't yet used and I was looking for an autumnal feel The lady scarecrow is teamed with the funky giant spots kraft paper from Double Sprinkles of Kraft CD. As I couldn't resist using some small polka dots in there somewhere, I also used a dotty border from the same CD. I added a little colouring on the scalloped border using Flexmarkers, so that it would tone in with the kraft background.



I wanted the card to be a little different from the others I have made before with the spotty papers, so I decided on an acetate rounded front. I made a simple mechanism so that the card folds out flat into an 8x8 envelope for posting, then the recipient just slots a tab of the acetate into the back of the card to turn it into a dimensional bow front. I used two of Nikky's stamps, the fence and the barrel of apples (also from Sundae of Seasons), coloured them with Promarkers and Flexmarkers before mounting them with foam dots on the outside of the acetate. They are highlighted slightly with some Sakura glaze and stardust pens. The scarecrow herself is mostly coloured using Flexmarkers and is mounted using two layers of sticky pads to make her pop out from the background. The card is finished with one of the Polkadoodles versatile sentiments with a little Sakura glaze over the top.



I think I will recreate this idea with lots of other images as it was actually quite simple once I figured out what I wanted to achieve and how to make it suitable for posting.

2 comments:

lis-m said...

Wow! this is so different.. i love it..
Thanks for joining us over @ Polkadoodles this week . good luck !
Hugs xx

Vintage Milly said...

Wow what a fab creation, thanks for joining in with our challenge at Polkadoodles this week,
Em.x

Post a Comment